Enabling and leveraging climate action towards net-zero emissions
ELEVATE will deliver transformative new scientific insights to support policymakers with preparing new NDCs and national climate policies. In doing so, the project will help governments achieve net-zero emissions mid-century in line with the Paris Agreement.
Year: 2022 Current Project
In the past few years, many countries have formulated Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and long-term policy goals to reach net-zero emissions. However, the combined effect of all national NDCs, even if fully implemented, is still not enough to limit global warming as set out in the Paris Agreement. Hence, there’s an urgency to strengthen the NDCs and related policies.
The ELEVATE project takes up this challenge by creating a robust scientific understanding of the impact of current climate policies. It identifies opportunities to cut greenhouse gas emissions further towards net-zero by mid-century.
ELEVATE will look into a range of key levers for sectoral action, international climate policy and the relationship with justice and sustainable development to boost climate action. This will bring about a new generation of global and national mitigation scenarios to strengthen climate policies in countries worldwide and support net-zero goals.
The consortium includes the leading global modelling teams responsible for informing the IPCC assessments, the most critical national teams in informing national policymakers worldwide (also covering high emitting, (middle) low-income countries), and world-leading social science and humanities experts regarding climate policy and system transformation.
Next to Climate Strategies the consortium includes the following partners:
- Ministerie van Infrastructuur en Waterstaat (NL, Coordinator)
- Potsdam Institut für Klimafolgenforschung
- Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro/ Fundacao Coordenacao de Projetos Pesquisas e Estudos Tecnologicos
- E3-modelling A.E.
- Fondazione Centro euro-Mediterraneo sui Cambiamenti Climatici
- Aarhus Universitet
- The Energy and Resource Institute (TERI)
- Internationales Institut für Angewandte Systemanalyse
- NewClimate Institute for Climate Policy and Global Sustainability
- Mercator Research Institute on Global Commons and Climate Change
- Wageningen University
- WISE EUROPA
- Beijing University of Technology
- African Energy Commission
- Kokuritsu Daigaku Hojin Kyoto Daigaku
- University of Maryland
- King Abdullah Petroleum Studies and Research Center