Between 2016 and 2019, Climate Strategies, together with IDDRI, developed ‘Coal Transitions: Research and Dialogue on the Future of Coal‘.
Coal Transitions was a KR Foundation funded, +2-year transdisciplinary, international effort to link and reinforce policy, research and advocacy efforts on coal transition in different countries.
The project aimed to fill the gap of international dialogue and lesson learning on coal transition, but will also to link to other initiatives focusing on coal, such as on the investor side.
Coal Transitions’ international coverage included Australia, China, Germany, India, Poland and South Africa.
For more information, please download a two page briefing on this page. You can also follow updates on the Coal Transitions website and Twitter page, currently run by the CoalExit team based at TU-Berlin.
Reports produced by Coal Transitions between 2017 and 2018:
- Synthesis report of the Coal Transition project, September 2018
- Coal Transition in China: National Report, September 2018
- Coal Transition in India: National Report, September 2018
- Coal Transition in South Africa: National Report, September 2018
- Coal Transition in Australia: National Report, September 2018
- Coal Transition in Poland: National Report, September 2018
- Coal Transition in Germany: National Report, September 2018
- What does “peak coal” mean for international coal exporters? A global modelling analysis on the future of the international steam coal market, September 2018
- An Historical Case Study on Previous Coal Transitions in Germany, July 2018
- Transition Policy for Climate Change Mitigation: Who, What, Why and How, May 2018
- Coal Taxes as Supply – Side Climate Policy: A Rationale For Major Exporters?, May 2017 (journal article – subscription required)
- Strengthening National Coal Transitions to Raise Climate Ambition, November 2017
- Transitioning Beyond Coal: Lessons from the Structural Renewal of Europe’s Old Industrial Regions, November 2017
- Prospects for a “Just Transition” Away from Coal-Fired Power Generation in Australia, November 2017
- Coal Transitions in China’s Power Sector: A Plant-Level Assessment of Stranded Assets and Retirement Pathways, November 2017
- Lessons from Previous Coal Transitions, Synthesis Report, 2017
- Country Case Study – Czech Republic, 2017
- Country Case Study – Spain, 2017
- Country Case Study – Poland, 2017
- Country Case Study – The Netherlands, 2017
- Country Case Study – The United Kingdom, 2017
- Country Case Study – The United States, 2017