- Senior Research Associate, University of Cambridge
Annela is a Senior Research Associate at the Institute for Sustainability Leadership, at the University of Cambridge. She is also a Government Adviser for the Estonia Ministry and has been elected as Vice-Chair of the UNFCCC Subsidiary Body for Scientific and Technological Advice (SBSTA).
Previously, Annela has held positions as:
- Lecturer in Macroeconomics and Director of MSc Environmental Sciences, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia
- Bye-fellow, Downing College, University of Cambridge
- College Research Associate, Emmanuel College, University of Cambridge
- Trustee, The Cambridge Trust for New Thinking in Economics
- Associate, Laurence Mee Centre for Society and the Sea, The Scottish Association of Marine Science
Annela is a Post Keynesian macroeconomist and whole-system energy-environment-economy modeller who enjoys working closely with industry, policymakers and environmental campaigners as well as with scientists from other disciplines.
She teaches economics and works regularly on projects commissioned by the European Commission, UN bodies, NGOs and various country governments. Annela holds a Diploma in Business Administration, a BSc and an MA in Biology and a BSc in Economics. After working several years in business she received her MPhil in Environmental Policy and her PhD in Applied Macroeconomics from the University of Cambridge where she continued working as a Senior Research Associate until joining the University of East Anglia.
Her collaboration with Cambridge economists continued through her involvement in Downing and Emmanuel Colleges and in the Cambridge Trust for New Thinking in Economics that promotes more realistic and whole-system thinking in economics. She grew up messing about on her Dad’s fishing boats on an island in the Baltic Sea, loves sailing and practicing upright bass, with hopes one day joining a jazz band. She is the mother of two teenagers.
- Modelling macroeconomic and emissions impacts of climate change and other environmental policies
- Large scale whole-system macroeconometric Energy-Environment Economy modelling
- Macroeconomics of ecosystems
- Green growth
- Climate change policies for international shipping and aviation
- Co-benefits and adverse effects of environmental change and policies
- Applied macroeconomics, political economy
- Science-industry-policy interactions, outreach